Cardiology specialist nurses at George Eliot Hospital invite patients with heart conditions to a free support group and provide some top tips to support a healthy heart.
Patients, relatives and carers are invited to a heart support group which talks about cardiac conditions and healthy living. The group aims to educate people about heart disease, empower patients to participate in their own care and inspire confidence for living for those with these conditions. These bi-monthly meetings also promote healthy lifestyle choices and provide peer emotional support.
The next meeting of the group is being held on Wednesday 28th March 2018 (2.30pm) at the Phoenix Centre, Bermuda Village in Nuneaton.
Cardiac Nurse, Vickie Dodd said: “It is vitally important that cardiac patients feel supported following their diagnosis as it easy to lose confidence.
“By coming together with others, patients can share experiences, ask questions and learn from each other so I am thrilled that we have been able to start the support group”.
Patients who attended the first two groups held last year found the talks informative and beneficial to help manage these conditions. These informal events also allow plenty of time to chat, speak to specialist nurses and socialise with others with similar conditions.
The cardiac nurses also provide some top tips to support a healthier heart.
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat a healthy well balanced diet and avoid adding salt to your food
- Limit your alcohol intake to 2-3 units a day for both men and women.
- Ensure you have at least 2 alcohol free days
- Ensure that you have your flu jab.
- If you are a smoker – stop or visit www.quit4good.co.uk
- Remember your five a day (both fruit and vegetables)
- Exercise for half an hour, five times a week
The also share additional advice for patients who have experienced heart failure.
- Weigh yourself daily and if you notice an increase in weight by 3-4 1bs (2kg) in 3-4 days contact your Heart Failure Nurse or GP.
- Unless directed otherwise limit your fluid intake to 2 litres a day or 7-8 mugs of fluid.
- Ensure you take your medications as prescribed and never run out of your tablets.
- If you notice any changes in symptoms contact you Heart Failure Nurse or GP.
- Please ensure you bring your Heart Failure Passport to every appointment.
- Ensure you have had your once only pneumonia vaccination.
Following meeting dates are also planned for May 23 2018, July 25th 2018, September 26th 2018 and November 28th 2018
Free Parking is available at the Phoenix Centre (Bermuda Village, Nuneaton, CV10 7HU) which is just a five minute walk from the main hospital. Tea and Coffee is available for a minimal charge.
Please confirm your attendance and who will be coming with you with you by ringing and leaving a message on 02476 15 3841. Find out more about our support group on our web page http://www.geh.nhs.uk/about-us/cardiac-heart-group/
Photograph includes Clinical Nurse Specialists Vickie Dodd, Sheila Wood and Emma West-Eggar