Did you know that a twenty cigarettes a day smoker could save more than £3500 a year?
George Eliot Hospital encourages smokers to consider kicking their habit to benefit their own health and save money.
The hospital, which is a totally smoke free site, wants to remind staff, patients and visitors that smoking is not allowed anywhere on hospital grounds and encourages smokers to consider support to quit while on site, either temporarily or for good.
Smokers are asked not to smoke to protect our patients and staff and to promote a healthier lifestyles to our wider community.
Did you know that smoking contributes to hospital admissions and is still a killer in the community?
Just a few facts:
- Smoking remains the leading cause of preventable death and disability in England.
- Around 10,000 smokers are admitted to hospital every year in Warwickshire.
- Around 25% of hospital patients are smokers compared to 19% of the adult population
- Seven out of ten smokers want to quit.
- Smoking causes 96,000 deaths per year in the UK and for each of these deaths about 20 smokers have a smoking-related disease.
- About 475,000 hospital admissions in England were attributable to smoking in 2014-15 (about 4,750 in Warwickshire).
- The annual cost of smoking is estimated at £2bn to the NHS with a further £1.1bn in social care costs.
Stopping smoking can enable people to focus on more positive activities in their lives. Improved lung capacity can help you to become more physically active. This in turn can have a beneficial impact on mental health and wellbeing.
Smokers who want to follow the example of the hospital can get help from Warwickshire Stop Smoking Service which is available at a number of local locations, including at the George Eliot Hospital. Contact the GEH service on 024 7686 5617 or find out more information at www.quit4good.co.uk. Patients on ward will be supported with stop smoking products not to smoke whilst they are in hospital.
Jane Wright, Stop Smoking lead at the Trust comments: “If you think you’ve tried every way to quit already and failed try again. There are new and better stop smoking products which are becoming available regularly.
“You'll feel the benefits of stopping smoking from the very first day. It's not just about saving money. You'll drastically improve your overall health and reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer.
“By considering using the stop smoking services you may well find something that suits you so you can become smoke free for life!”
A “savings calculator”, showing how much money individuals could save by quitting, and other information on the benefits of quitting can be found at https://www.nhsinform.scot/nosmokingday.